Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Policy on Racism
11-05-2009, 11:47 AM,
New Policy on Racism
We've seen a lot of racist trolls joining the forum lately, so I would like to clarify our rules a little. Currently, Rule 4 says "Be respectful. Don't use curses, slurs, or personal insults against others." I will be updating it so everyone knows this applies especially to bias and discrimination! Here is our new Rule 4:
Be respectful of everyone, even if they are different from you. Don't use curses, slurs, personal insults, or bigoted and biased language. Don't apply racist or sexist stereotypes to anyone. We do not tolerate bigotry on this forum.
(I know I don't usually mod much, but this is important so I wanted to get it out there. I'll leave this thread open for discussion if anyone has any questions!)
Be kind. Heart
11-05-2009, 12:37 PM,
Re:New Policy on Racism
whaaaat? Cant u just ban the trolls??? why do we need a whole rule for that
Angel turn the lights off / carry me home Angel
11-05-2009, 12:45 PM,
I agree. I'm not racist, but is this really important? You're starting to sound like Superluminal, Axelotl...
11-05-2009, 01:15 PM,
Good job Axelotl!!! *applauds* And if you don't think this rule is important, well look at the whole Internet
Ethan/everyone is my ship and IT WILL SAIL ON IN MY HEART
11-05-2009, 01:27 PM,
Are we in trouble??? :S
11-05-2009, 01:34 PM,
Pffff I agree this sounds like something Superluminal would do XD
“And I want these words to make things right
But it's the wrongs that make the words come to life”
11-05-2009, 01:38 PM,
Thank you Axelotl!!! *stands and cheers* the internet is (surprising no one) continuing its descent into hell; it's really refreshing to see people trying to keep spaces safe for us online!!!!! Don't poke fun at Axelotl for making rules they're there so that this forum doesnt become awful, like the Awoken!!!
11-05-2009, 01:48 PM,
Excellent choice, Axelotl. If anyone doesn't think this rule is important, look up Scientific American's article "The Implicit Prejudice." Here's my favorite quote from it:
"Even in people with genuinely egalitarian views, Banaji and her colleagues find that bias is ordinary and ingrained and remains active outside our awareness." In order to combat your biases, you need to be aware of them, so I'm definitely in support of this.
Nothing erases the past. What's canon is canon. What's true is true. That is all, but that is enough. ~Ted Chiang, roughly
11-05-2009, 02:17 PM,
Thanks NI and Choose for the articles! Everyone who is confused, please do read "Even on mute, TV can perpetuate racial bias" from National Geographic and "The Implicit Prejudice" from Scientific American, as NI and Choose shared. I think it might help you understand!
Be kind. Heart
11-05-2009, 02:34 PM,
Hm... okay I will read the articles